Monday, May 23, 2011

CULTURE SHOCK!

So over the course of the last 24 hours, some amazing things have happened.One of them being that today was the first official day working at Casa Agar! the day started out, what i'd thought would be simple. Everyone (out of the 10 girls on the trip) were divided into different teams for different assignments. I had the privilege of being able to service Casa Agar by cleaning the office space. It was amazing to see how well everything runs! They seriously have the hand of God over them and its breath taking and humbling to be able to be a part of it.
We all came back together for lunch, which we shared with the mothers and children at the center. It felt like a big family sitting down. Its amazing to see how even though we have a slight cultural barrier, when it came to food and company, we're all the same! haha :)
after lunch i had the chance to go to a transitional apartment home. This is where mothers who leave Casa Agar are able to have an extended opportunity to save up and help in their transition from the shelter to the real world. I had the opportunity of playing with the children that lived at the apartment. The mother, son and twin girls all went to the par with some of the girls on the trip.
I have to say i experienced my first ever cultural shock. while helping out the twin girls i had the chance to experience what other cultures feel like. I always thought i had it easy. i know English and i know Spanish. i'm pretty much set in North America, not out of my comfort zone at all, but wanting to ask help from the Romanians and realizing i had no way of communicating with them was one of the worst and most eye opening experiences in my life!! There was nothing bad that happened (for those of you who are wondering).
What happened was that i was asked to take the twins to the water fountain. there was a little accident were one of the girls was startled and the fell backwards. there was mud behind here and her little flip flops were stuck in the mud! i felt so horrible because in trying to figure the water fountain out (not your typical American kind and there was a nob, i didn't know how to twist) a HUGE crowd surrounded me, trying to get water and obviously entertained by the girl who has a Romanian name and slightly looks like one too!
Lets just say today my eyes were really open in a new way. i thought there wouldn't be much for me to get outta my comfort zone. I'm pretty flexible for many things and it really helps that Romania reminds me a lot of Mexico, so i've had a pretty good transitioning. i guess not! But i'm excited and waiting to see what other ways and things Jesus is going to use to get me out of my comfort zone and open my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment